PA Stands Up is also open to hiring a Deputy Director of Finance for those with less years of experience or without prior experience as a Director of Finance at a similarly-sized nonprofit organization.
PA Stands Up is an independent political organization by and for the many. We organize Black, brown and white working people across Pennsylvania's cities, towns and rural areas. Our chapters in Lehigh, Chester, Delaware, Lancaster, Cumberland, Dauphin, York, Berks, and Philadelphia counties build grassroots leadership, fight on our issues, and win elections. Together, we are building the durable political infrastructure necessary to win governing power and enact bold, redistributive measures for the common good.
Reports to: Managing Director
Key Relationships: Managing Director, Accountant, Operations and HR Manager
Location: Philadelphia, but flexible for ideal candidate
Start date: ASAP
Compensation: $65,000-$75,000 annually
Reporting to the Managing Director, the Director of Finance manages all financial strategies, programs and systems needed to support the organizations’ growth and sustainability.
- Assess and evaluate the financial performance of the organization with regard to long-term operational goals, budgets and forecasts.
- Provide insight and recommendations to both short-term and long-term growth plans.
- Create and establish monthly, quarterly and annual financial objectives that align with the organization’s plan for growth and expansion.
- Communicate, engage and interact with the Board of Directors.
- Identify, acquire and implement systems and software to provide critical financial and operational information.
- Maintain outstanding relationships and strategic alliances with all vendors including; banks, financial partners, institutions, investors, public auditors and officials.
- Develop and maintain a monthly and annual organization operating budget.
- Oversee all month-end close processes including general ledger accounts, balance sheet accounts and overhead cost allocation.
- Prepare and present monthly financial reports including monthly profit and loss statements and profit center analyses.
- Provide recommendations as needed to the senior leadership team.
- Identify, develop and execute analysis of development initiatives, program launches and/or new service offerings.
- Supervise accountant to ensure the proper functioning of all systems, databases, financial software, accounts receivables/payables management, payroll and administrative operations.
- Review and ensure application of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures.
- Ensure timeliness and accuracy of financial reporting to donors and institutional partners (foundations, government, et al).
- Prepare and file in a timely manner all local, state and federal tax returns in conjunction with auditors.
- Serve as the key point of contact for external auditors; manage preparation and support of all external audits.
- Manage cash flow planning process and weekly reporting, ensuring a minimum defensive interval ratio of at least four months.
- Manage the processing of time keeping, expense reporting and bi-weekly payroll.
- Occasional travel required.
The ideal candidate should have the following experience and qualifications:
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting or Finance.
- CPA license preferred.
- Five to seven years experience as a Director of Finance or Senior Accountant in a non-profit organization.
- Ability to lead, manage and motivate staff.
- Excellent analytical, reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- Utilize technology to present meaningful financial data and analysis.
- Significant experience working with external auditors, internal controls and compliance-related issues.
- Experience with identifying and contracting organizational financial systems.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to interact with and present financial information to multiple stakeholders and audiences.
Salary and Benefits
Salary range is $65,000-75,000 FTE. PA Stands Up offers a comprehensive benefits package is available to you and begin 30 days of your date of hire. In addition, we offer generous time off policies and regular professional development opportunities.
How to Apply
Please submit a RESUME and LETTER (1-2 pages) that describes your interest, experience, commitment, and any relevant personal background. We ask that you complete your application on our internal recruiting site here.
PA Stands Up embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We are an equal opportunity employer.