Candidates should have a proven track record of managing complex electoral, legislative, and base-building campaigns, with excellent verbal and written communication skills and a sophisticated analysis of the current political landscape. This position will directly supervise the Regional Organizers for Philadelphia, South Central, and Lehigh Valley. This is a political leadership position in a collaborative, fast-paced, and innovative environment. The work will require travel, weeknight, and weekend hours. The position is directly accountable to the Organizing Director.
PA Stands Up is an independent people-powered organization, by and for the many. We organize working people—black, white, and brown—across Pennsylvania's cities, towns, and rural areas. Our chapters develop grassroots leaders and organization to make a difference on issues and in elections. Together we're building the durable infrastructure that's needed to win governing power and enact a bold agenda for the common good.
- Manage PA Stands Up’s organizing program in our most developed and highest priority regions, where we are running both statewide campaigns and local issue and electoral campaigns (Philadelphia, South Central, and Lehigh Valley).
- Work with chapter leads in target geographies named above to develop and meet base-building goals.
- Represent the organization in local and regional coalitions; work with coalition partners on aligned campaigns.
- Work with members of PA Stands Up's organizing department to drive ongoing reflection, learning, innovation, and improvement.
- Along with the Organizing Director and Development Director, support the growth of chapters’ grassroots fundraising programs, including membership programs and individual giving.
- Demonstrate visionary leadership to grow a multi-racial mass movement of working people across Pennsylvania.
- Exemplify and cultivate a work culture of support and accountability.
- Work with Organizing Director, Regional Organizers, and partner organizations to design, execute, and support our electoral program in target geographies.
- Support Regional Organizers to identify potential candidates for office through our base-building work.
- Along with Regional Organizers, support chapters to identify campaign goals, achieve legislative priorities, and win governing power.
- Along with Organizing Director, support PA Stand Up’s issue campaign strategy to produce desired electoral and policy outcomes in the mid-term and long-term.
- Work with Narrative Director and communications department to help shape public messaging and communications strategy to support local electoral and legislative campaigns.
The ideal candidate should have the following experience and qualifications:
- A minimum of three years of relevant experience in grassroots organizing, labor, and/or politics, preferably with experience in building grassroots political power with a culture of democracy and debate
- Demonstrated leadership ability and experience working in rural areas and/or communities of color
- Strong commitment to racial, social, economic, and gender justice
- Strong commitment to independent, innovative political action by and for working people
- Proven track record of planning, managing, and executing complex electoral and legislative campaigns
- A goal-driven, detail-oriented self-starter and problem-solver with ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team
- Experience with and knowledge of Pennsylvania politics
- Acute political savvy and excellent analytical skills
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience leading independent expenditure or coordinated electoral campaigns
- Bi-lingual Spanish/English preferred
Owning or having full time access to a car as a licensed, insured driver is preferred, as this position requires travel throughout Pennsylvania. PA Stands Up provides mileage reimbursement and a per diem and lodging when working away from home.
Salary and Benefits
Salary range is $50-60,000 FTE. PA Stands Up is dedicated to workers rights and offers health benefits and generous paid time off to its employees.
How to Apply
Please submit a RESUME and LETTER (1-2 pages) that describes your interest, experience, commitment, and any relevant personal background to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “Deputy Organizing Director” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
PA Stands Up embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We are an equal opportunity employer.