Writing and communications skills are among the most important skills required for this position. The CDD-C is responsible for writing and editing public-facing materials that will be made available for chapters (e.g., sample and template emails, web content, social media posts, press releases, etc.).
This is a political leadership position, responsible for helping to develop and implement the media and messaging strategy at the chapter level, in collaboration with other PA Stands Up staff. The CDD-C will work closely with the Communications Deputy Director for Statewide (CDD-S) and under the supervision of the Narrative & Communications Director (NCD). The CDD-C will work in a deeply collaborative way with the CDD-S, whose job it is to develop and support the implementation of PA Stands Up’s communications strategy at the state level and statewide organizational level. The CDD-S is primarily responsible for strategic communications engagement and rapid response in relation to unfolding news and development at the statewide level. The work of the CDD-S and CDD-C will overlap significantly, and these two positions will work together closely and provide support for each other’s work.
The CDD-C will be an expert communicator and media practitioner, who is committed to telling the story of organizing and people-powered campaigns. The position can be based anywhere in our geographic footprint (eastern central PA), and will require regular travel within this area.
- Advance the vision and values of PA Stands Up chapters across various communications channels including through traditional media and social media.
- Help generate the production of high quality, timely, original social media, and digital content.
- Guide the organization’s chapter-level earned media strategy, including the creation and oversight of the execution of media plans.
- Support chapters in cultivating strong relationships with reporters and members of the press.
- Oversee and support chapter-level paid digital media campaigns.
- Identify, cultivate, and amplify powerful grassroots voices in our organization and base.
- Support and develop strong communicators and digital organizers across the organization, in collaboration with the CDD-S and NCD.
- Stay current on best practices, trends, and technologies related to content creation and communications.
- Develop clear, coordinated processes for the execution of department responsibilities.
- Along with the NCD and CDD-S, personally represent the organization in the media, and prepare PA Stands Up chapter members and leaders to represent the organization.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and oral. This person must be a very strong writer and editor.
- At least two years work experience managing communications strategy in a grassroots organizing, political campaigning, or advocacy context.
- Time management is a must for this position. The CDD-S must be able to manage numerous and competing priorities in a fast-paced campaign environment.
- ‘People skills’ are also critical for this position. The CDD-S has to work cooperatively and patiently with other staff members and volunteer leaders.
- Experience working with persons of varied racial, ethnic, cultural, sexual preference, gender expression, socioeconomic backgrounds, and with individuals who are differently-abled.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice through previous employment, life, or volunteer experience.
- Attention to detail and ability to organize and set priorities a must.
- Troubleshooting and problem solving skills; ability to overcome technical and non-technical challenges.
- Management experience, leading teams, and holding people accountable.
- Experience with developing/executing both digital and traditional media campaign plans.
- Project management experience, particularly with those projects designed from scratch
Pennsylvania. Must be available to travel across the state.
Full time, salaried position.
Salary and Benefits
Salary range is $50-60,000 FTE. PA Stands Up is dedicated to workers rights and offers health benefits and generous paid time off to its employees.
How to Apply
Please submit a RESUME and LETTER (1-2 pages) that describes your interest, experience, commitment, and any relevant personal background to email@example.com. Put “Communications Co-Director” in the subject line.
PA Stands Up embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We are an equal opportunity employer.